Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to School Hairclips


I don't know about you, but it's always so exciting to me when we get to shop for school supplies.  I love seeing all of the new pencils and crayons, fresh and ready for a new school year.  My oldest daughters are in preschool this year and they really enjoyed their back to school shopping.  They also love rainbows and everything ROYGBIV order, so I thought we'd combine the two when we were making some new hair accessories to go with new school clothes.

Start with some colored pencils, either new or used.  We choose six in rainbow colors.  I used a band saw to chop off the sharpened ends of the pencils.  I cut mine 1 1/2" long.

They will probably be a bit rough, so use a sanding block or sandpaper to smooth out the cut edge.


If you want to make more than one hair clip, use a pencil sharpener to re-sharpen the leftover pencil that you cut.  Now, just cut off another 1 1/2" section for your next hair clip.  I made three of these for my three girls and I only had to use one set of colored pencils. 


Line up your colored pencils, glue them onto a strip of felt, then glue onto a ribbon covered alligator clip.


You could also easily attach it to a headband.

But beware, these are very tempting to little hands!  It didn't take long for them to figure out they could use them to draw perfect rainbows!  :)



8 comments:

  1. How darling! I love this idea very much :) yeah for cute hair clips.
    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! what a great idea! I wonder if one could seal the pencils with a varnish of sort. Will definitely try that. Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorble! I bet they are a hit with the classmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute and colorful!! Thanks so much for linking up to Think Pink Sundays!! I featured you today - http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/08/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-20/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to DIY Diva Thursdays! I love your hair clips :) Would you be so kind to link back to the party to help me spread the word? Thanks so much!

    I featured you on my facebook page today!
    www.facebook.com/mineforthemaking

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I'm going to have to try this next year with my little cousins. :)

    Love your girls and your lovely blog. I'm a new follower. ♥

    Kisses,
    Roudi @ c-is-for-craft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! Just looove this! Pinned! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just too cute. I'm making one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete