Once we started bringing our beautiful barn wood home, it was time to figure out how to actually make it work on the exterior of our house. Luckily, our framers were willing to work with us and our unconventional ideas.
They started cutting pieces of scrap wood and sticking them up for us to see. We tried out a couple of different ways before we decided to do a combination of natural brown and the faded red. In the previous post, I told you that all of the exterior boards had been painted a bright red more recently. Luckily, the interior side of those boards had not been painted, so we could just flip those boards around and use the backside as the "good" side that would be showing. The boards were finished with a tongue and groove edge that allowed them to fit together nicely, no matter what side we wanted to show.
We asked the guys to use the different colored boards as randomly as possible, so it wouldn't look like we were making a pattern with the different colors. It was a lot of work for the framers. There was a LOT of trimming off damaged end pieces that they wouldn't have to deal with on new materials. They were troopers and in the end, they agreed that it was worth it.
I can't wait to show you pictures of the completed exterior. Maybe in a few months we'll even get some grass growing around here!