Friday, February 3, 2012

You + Me on a Tree


We recently had some firewood delivered and it got me thinking about what else I could do with all of that beautiful wood stacked up so neatly on my back porch.


I chose a log that was smaller and had some "prettier" bark with character.  I also liked that this one had a little stump on the side.  I thought it made it look more interesting.  The original log I chose was a little long and not even on the ends, so I cut off both ends with a chop saw.  It's never going to be perfectly straight, but as long as you can get it to stand up, it will work.  I would recommend using a log that is very dry and still has the bark pretty attached.  If the bark is falling off very easily, it will be hard to carve your heart.

I cut a rough heart shape out of paper and laid it on top of the log.  I took an old, rusty utility knife and started scoring around the heart shape.  You can't really cut through the bark, so I just pushed it in as far as I could until I had a series of line cuts all the way around the heart.


Then, I took the utility knife and started chipping away at the bark.  I kept going back and making my heart outline cuts deeper as I went.

I kept going until I had a fairly good heart shape and the layers of bark that I had removed were pretty even. Then, I took a sheet of sandpaper and tried to smooth out the heart surface the best I could.  The smoother your surface, the easier it is to get an even line with your woodburning tool.


I drew out my letters lightly with a pencil and heated up my woodburning tool.  I got this for Christmas and was anxious to try it out.  I had never used one before, so I did a little practice on the ends I cut off the logs.  It was pretty simple, just remember that you can always go back and make it darker, but you can't lighten your lines.


 As you can see, it's not perfect, but that's okay with me.  I went back over my letters several times to try to even it out and clean my lines up.  I also added the dots around the edge for a little border.


Perfect for Valentine's Day, but I think it will live in our bedroom all year long!

{cheese to my macaroni sign was purchased here}

16 comments:

  1. Saw you on TT&J. I was scanning the link party and my son saw this and wants me to try it with all our family initials. Thank you for the idea!

    Angela @ Our Family Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from TT&J. This is really cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea. So cute and it looks lovely with your subway art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romantic and rustic equals perfection. Nicely done!

    *found you at tatertots and jello

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cute and romantic too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable I love it! I want one! I would love for you to share this at my party if you have the time - http://www.literallyinspired.com/2012/01/wytbw-can-i-get-do-over.html

    Hope to see you there!!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that is just the cutest idea! You did such a great job! Would you consider sharing this adorable project at my party?
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/shine-on-fridays-13-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable, I love it! I really want to make one! I'm thinking of a woodland theme for my babies nursery and this would look perfect in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! This is amazing!! I'm featuring this at our Shine on Friday Party and pinning this. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely brilliant! Pinning this on my Valentines board. So glad I saw your post featured over at Flamingo Toes!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still love this - I really need to get it made this year!!
    I did a roundup of my Six most popular featured projects from 2012 and this tutorial made the list!
    Thanks so much for linking it up last year!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  13. For someone who doesn't get wood delivered.... What's a good suggestion on finding a good log?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to a sawmill. Many times, they have ends they've cut off.

      Delete